Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Joel - 7 weeks, 6 days

Joel's biggest day (since the day he was brought into this world), and arguably his most traumatic day, went well! His surgery was early this morning. After signing countless consent forms, he was carted into the OR. We were both nervous for him, since he's such a little guy! He was in good hands, though, and both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist came to talk to us in the waiting room during the procedure. It was mostly successful, although we won't know 100% until the eye heals a little bit more. Then, the retina docs should hopefully be able to take a look at his retina (an important thing to monitor on premature babies, and the reason the surgery was somewhat urgent since they haven't really been able to see the retina yet). So, he came out of anesthesia pretty well and came off the ventilator within an hour of surgery (we were warned it could be days before he was able to be off, so that's awesome!) He's got a patch right now, but it won't be on for long. Joel's such a little champ! He's very cranky and he's still working on stabilizing his heartrate and breathing, but WOW. I'm so impressed with that little guy! I can't imagine seeing (I mean really seeing) the world for the first time, 8 weeks after birth! I'm so excited for him.

This hospital uses a different air support system...bubble CPAP. Look at that crazy contraption on his face! Our hospital doesn't use it because it's so uncomfortable for the babies. No wonder! (It sure works, though.)

Trying to calm Joel before his very busy day.

What a sweet little boy we have!

Last goodbyes before surgery...

Post-op Joel. We sure can't see his face now! I can't wait 'til that little eye's uncovered to see the world for the first time!

We have to wear gowns at the new NICU. This is the bed that transported him to and from surgery, too.

Thanks, everyone, for the prayers and positive thoughts sent Joel's way. He's got a long road ahead of him, but this is one BIG hurdle out of the way.


5 comments:

Kathy said...

glad to hear he did so well!!!!! :) (that's the same type of CPAP Andrew had!)

Jake and Christi said...

Ouch! He's never had one like that before. I will say it seems to work really well. His other one looks so much more comfortable with a regular cannula, though!

Kris Roach said...

We are so thrilled to read this great report and to see the pictures of Joel's first road trip and surgery. I hope that when they are able to unveil his eyes, the first the he will see is his beautiful parents! Been checking all day for an update, so thrilled that all is well. Much love.

Unknown said...

I am so happy he came through this so well! That boy is a fighter, that is for sure!! He could not have better role models than his parents!!

Kris Roach said...

Happy 8 week old birthday you little sweetheart! Hope you have had a good day and are recovering really well. I hope that tomorrow you can go home to N'Ville....Love you little man!