Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Joel - 5 weeks, 6 days

Joel had a good, restful day. This evening, one of our favorite nurses Amy was working. She let him come out for some kangaroo time, and he loved it. He was out for an hour and a half with us...it was the first time since before his bad weekend that he had been out. It was awesome! Jake hadn't seen him since before the weekend, either, since he'd had a cold. He was glad to be back to see his son!

Eventually, we had to put him back to bed, and he lost it. He wasn't crying at all, but his oxygen saturation dropped...and kept dropping. Soon, it was in the 40's. Amy was trying everything...checking his tubing to be sure nothing was disconnected, trying to calm him, giving him extra oxygen...nothing worked. He kept dropping to that level. He was still pink, though, so she kept trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually, she tried putting him on his side, and suddenly he was back in the 90's again. What a stinker! The nurses have said all along that he knows how to tell them how he wants to be positioned, but that seemed a little extreme to us! He's never done it to that extreme before. I think secretly, he wanted us to stay with him.

***Update: I called this morning to see how the rest of his night was, and it was fine. The MACHINE was broken! They replaced his oxygen blender after we left, and he shot back up. Whew! My baby's not such a stinker...well, okay. Maybe...but at least he's not doing scary de-sats! I'm so glad it wasn't real!


"hangin' in the crib"

"hangin' in the crib"

Getting weighed!

4 comments:

Kris Roach said...

I believe you are right! I would bet if you had picked him back up, they would have shot back up too! I wonder if he was holding his breath? What a precious boy, don't you know he has missed being held! I am praying that he will continue to improve so he can have lots of Kangaroo time! He need his mommy and daddy! Bless him Lord!

Jake and Christi said...

He wasn't holding his breath...the monitor would have showed that. It was so strange and scary. He must have just been really uncomfortable!

Annie Willems said...

Jake and Christi,

Thank you for sharing the daily updates on Joel. He's very blessed to have the two of you fighting for him each step of the way.

I can only guess how exhausted the two of you are- if not physically, then simply emotionally. You seem to stay positive in your blogs, but I'm sure there's plenty of tears. Praying for you guys...and your little guy.

Kris Roach said...

WOW! Glad to hear it was a machine malfunction! How scary for you! Hope his 6 week birthday is great!!! How much did he weigh?