Monday, May 17, 2010

Joel - 5 weeks, 4 days

Joel is still having a little bit of a rough time with his breathing today. They moved him back to the CPAP and have slowly weaned him from 70% oxygen to 45% oxygen. The nurse said he was doing better later this afternoon, but was a little mad since they stopped his feedings again. I'd be mad, too! Hopefully, he was just tired and needed a break. If he aspirated something on Friday, he has probably been working hard breathing since then.

This evening, I was able to visit Joel. He looks SO much better than yesterday, it's like looking at the Joel from a week ago before all the troubles. He's still on the CPAP and temperature control, so he's busy resting and regaining strength instead of breathing and maintaining his temperature. He was down to 40% oxygen before the shift change, so we're hopeful a break is all he needed to get better.



I was able to see him (briefly) without any breathing tubes while they changed out his nasal prongs. He was moving around, and they wanted to get the tube back in somewhat soon, so the photos aren't great...but it's a big difference! His poor face is a little swolen from fluid retention, especially around his eyes. So if it looks like he's squinting, it's because he could barely open them! It'll go back down soon.

No prongs!

I'm so excited, I can't hold still!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If anyone can tough it out, it's you, Joel!