Well, it has been 4 months since Joel joined our family, and almost 2 months since he left to wait for us in Heaven. The world lost a special boy, but Heaven gained a beautiful angel. We have had lots of time to reflect during these past weeks and months. It certainly has been challenging to accept our loss and to accept that we must carry on without our son at our side. We miss Joel every day. We are glad his life has touched so many people through the pictures and stories shared on this blog.
Joel will continue to touch even more precious lives through Joel's Library. We were inspired to create this library in his memory by his incredible reaction to the books that were read to him. As Joel's mother, I can say that he always responded to my voice. He would turn his head as I spoke to him. He would awaken from his sleep when he heard me from across the room. He would look peaceful as I sang to him. None of these reactions came close to the response he gave as I read to him. It must have been something about the cadence of my voice as we read rhyming books (he responded much differently to these than to story books). Joel would lock his gaze with mine and open his eyes wide with interest as we read Dr. Seuss. He would smile as we made sound effects like "Mooo Moooooo...Clackety Clack...Beep Beep". His enjoyment was so apparent that I wondered why I hadn't started reading to him earlier. Those are the moments we hope we can share with many parents and babies to come through the NICU in the coming years. Thank you for your enthusiasm and support for Joel's Library.
Together, we have raised around $5,000 to-date!
We are so grateful for the opportunity to give this library to the hospital where Joel lived. I have selected several books to be included, and I'm in contact with the Foundation at the hospital to work out details. The Foundation will purchase the books at wholesale through one of their fundraising booksales, and a bookshelf is also being donated. The library will most likely be opened when the new NICU unit is unveiled. The new NICU will have individual patient rooms in "pods", so we will see how the library fits best in that layout.
Additionally, a library is being started in Joel's memory at the Pediatric Unit at the hospital in my parents' town. Their parent hospital found out, and they are looking into beginning a NICU library as well. I am amazed at how this idea has taken off and spread...and I hope we can continue to spread the word (pun intended). Thank you, once again.
4 comments:
I am so happy to read that Joel's libary fund is coming along so well and that the idea is going beyond the hospital that he lived in during is life. I personally believe that reading to babies is a wonderful thing and that they enjoy it very much.
I know it sounds weird to say how much I miss Joel, since I never met him in person, but I really miss the little sweetheart and seeing his pictures and videos and watching his progress. I think of you and pray for your family often. I know this is a difficult time, but you are doing amazing things and I am so proud of you. I will keep you in my prayers. Much love. Kris
Your update is uplifting. To know that so many people support your effort to build a library is heartwarming. At the same time, the number of families that will benefit is even greater. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to share in Joel's legacy.
I didn't mean for the last comment to be anonymous. My error.
Peggy
You are on my mind....Happy Birthday precious Joel...
Post a Comment