Thursday, June 17, 2010

Joel - 9 weeks, 6 days, 4 hours, 48 minutes

and a lifetime of love.

Our son, Joel Patrick Davidson, grew his wings and joined his sister in Heaven last night.

We were blessed to spend a wonderful day with that perferct little boy. He was awake and responsive, holding our hands, looking in our eyes, and even smiling. We read, sang, talked, and loved him for every second of it. His Grandma, Pop Pop, and Unkie Kev were able to be with him, and we know those relatives and friends too far away were with him in spirit as well. We never gave up hope for Joel, but we knew that his little body would need a miracle to heal. Medicine had done everything possible to help him, and it was in God's hands. His little body was up against tough odds, but Joel's spirit never wavered. We know the prayer and love from everyone carried him through to this time. In his lifetime, he knew nothing but love. In the end, he told us it was time. He spared us from making any impossible decisions, and he was able to go peacefully...his body and face free from tubes, wires, and leads for the first time in his precious life. He spent his last moments in our arms, receiving our love wholly, and the last thing he saw in this life was his Mommy and Daddy. He felt no pain, and he is forever beautiful and at peace-free from any earthly suffering.

Thank you all for the prayers and love you have shown Joel in spirit and in person. We are especially grateful for the family Joel had in the NICU, and particularly all his nurses who held him and continued showering him in love when we were not there, even calling and coming in to check on him on their days off. We are grateful he was able to spend his last days with his buddies Amy, Angela, Cam, Linda, and Margaret. Thank you all for the compassionate care you have shown our son.

We love you, Joel. It is not supposed to happen like this, but we know you are where you are supposed to be. We will continue our journey hand-in-hand someday.


Who is comforting who here?





Look at my precious, perfect face.


7 comments:

Nurse Linda said...

Joel was a very loved baby. As one of his nurses his little personality reached right out an grabbed me. He was sweet, cuddly and feisty!! My heart goes out to his wonderful parents and whole extended family in this time of grief. Joel knew love from the minute he was born. His family was always there for him Joel is an angel now and will be forever in my prayers.
Love Nurse Linda

Unknown said...

In his lifetime, he knew nothing but love!!
We know Joel especially felt love's comfort and power every time Mommy and Daddy were near - and he returned that love! Now he's being cradled by God's love until we meet again.
We love you, Joel, and we love your incredible parents.

Kris Roach said...

Joel has received his ultimate healing. I hoped his healing would be here on earth, but I am thankful that he has a sissy with him and they will be waiting for the day they will see you again. I have two babies that I never have met waiting for me...somehow, i know that we will know each other in heaven. Christi, you have a gift of expressing things that is amazing. I know that the love he knew on earth was tremendous, the love he is experiencing now is infinite...My heart goes out to you all, but I thank you whole heartedly for sharing Joel's 10 weeks with us, please don't take down the blog anytime soon, I want to get the pictures and movies copied. He was a very special and precious boy, obviously full of personality and love. He made me smile every time I looked at his picture. I have several pictures in my cubicle, so I looked at him often. People stopped by to see them all the time...he will be missed down here in SC. Love, Kris

Nancy Pagley & Family said...

We've followed Joel's story from the beginning and can't express how deeply sorry we are for your whole family. We wish there were words that could give each of you some comfort. Know that all of our thoughts and prayers are with you. I am awestruck by the poignant last entry in the blog and how incredibly strong and loving Jake and Christi were throughout. You are special people and I know there is a miracle in your future.

Ron & Peggy said...

We don't know how to express what we feel for all of you. We miss you, already, Joel. Thank you to Christi & Jake for sharing this miracle of a life with all of us. Our hearts go out to the Oregon and California Davidson family along with the Wisconsin plus South Carolina Hoys plus George. Every reader of Joel's story is better for having known him. Loving you, Peggy & Ron

Maggie Ecker said...

I am so sorry to hear that your precious baby Joel has left our earthly home -- but now he is in Heaven & is healed -- he is with God. Joel had a purpose here and he fulfilled it.
I certainly understand the intense & raw emotions that a parent has in their hearts after a child dies. It is unexplainable. I only have a glimmer of the powerful grief you are experiencing; I can’t imagine what it is to lose a baby at such a long & fragile time in his life.
Jake saw your Mom & Brad at the Farmer's Market yesterday and she told me that Joel had his wings …in an instant I was back to the moment I found out about Dan’s death --- and as I said above that emotion is so raw it is unexplainable. However in the next instant God gave me a view of Dan holding Joel and loving him! I told your Mom & then we both started to cry.
I am praying for God to wrap His arms around Joel’s Mommy & Daddy as He pulls them to His lap & lavishes them showers of mercy & love. That His angels would surround them -- as Mommy & Daddy grieve & mourn the loss of Joel -- but praise God for the blessing of having him in their lives.
Do let me know if there is anything I can do…..I will continue to pray!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel! You are my first GREAT grandson. Weare both mising fun times together, but just watch for me. if I can ,make that firsy hurdle withSt Pete, we can be together and have lots of fun. I Love You, Pop
Your great grandbaba says she loves you a bushel and a peck!
Watch for her too, she'll be stopping on the way to smell the roses.