Saturday, June 5, 2010

Joel - 8 weeks, 2 days

Joel's back on the fast track! It's so nice to have the surgery over with, so we can push him a little bit and make some forward progress again! He's back up to full feeds, and they are starting to add calories again as he tolerates. He keeps rooting, looking for a bottle. Soon enough, little buddy. Soon enough. He was also down to 0.1L flow today! That's the lowest he's ever been, and he was doing awesome! The doctor said what I was already thinking, though...the extra flow might help keep his airways open (it was discussed last time he had a setback), so she put him back to 0.5L.

The pediatric eye doc was in to check on him this morning, too. She was happy with everything she saw, and we were all glad that the pressure in his eye is back down where it needs to be. She mentioned that when she talked to the surgeon/cornea doc after the surgery, he said, "You didn't tell me he was this small!" Of course, they all had told him, but it wasn't until he saw Joel that he really realized what a little guy he is! I guess he was a little bit nervous about having so little room in that tiny eye to work with, but one of the top of his field for a reason. It went swimmingly.

Sleepin' with my bright new buddy, Clifford.

I am so happy to be back "home" with all my nurses! Look at this perma-grin!

Where's my bottle?? I'll settle for this...if you dip it in milk!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel, you look better than ever! You surely know what it takes to be a winner!!! WE LOVE YOU, LITTLE GUY! The Beas

Kris Roach said...

What a wonderful report! This has been an action packed week for little man and he handled it like a Champ! He is looking wonderful. I am really thankful that all went well. I can hardly wait till devotions tomorrow to give the great reports. (We are closed Fri., so they have not found out all the great reports yet) We are just delighted that he is continuing to progress. I am expecting this to be a big weight gain week! We'll see soon enough. Lots of love and hugs to all....Kris